G-Shock is releasing another smaller “square” 5600 series with the GLX-S5600, which is part of the G-LIDE surfing line. Like the full-size GLX-5600 has more advanced functions than the DW-5600, the GLX-S5600 is also more advanced than its basic counterpart the GMD-S5600. It is the same size (45.7 x 40.5 x 11.9 millimeters) and weight (41 grams), but it doesn’t have the 7-year battery life advantage of the GLX-5600 and has an approximate battery life of 3 years like the GMD-S5600.
Along with the tide and moon graphs and moon age data, other enhancements over the GMD-S5600 include:
• The bezel and band are made from eco-friendly biomass plastics, which are made from renewable sources (plants).
• World Time (29 time zones and 48 cities with DST on/off)
• 3 Multi-Function Alarms with 1 Snooze
• The 1/100-second stopwatch measures in increments of 1/100-second beyond 1 hour, up to 23:59’59.99”. It also has a 5-second countdown auto start. The stop watch measures elapsed time, split time, and 1st and 2nd place times.
• The button operation sound can be disabled.
• The LED light has a selectable afterglow duration of 1.5 or 3 seconds, but it does not have “auto” activation like the EL backlight on the GLX-5600.
Other features include a 24-hour countdown timer with auto repeat, full auto calendar, 12/24 hour format, and a flash alert option (for the alarms, hourly time signal, and 24-hour countdown timer). Unlike the GMD-S5600 timer which is settable in 1-second increments, the GLX-S5600 timer is settable in 1-minute increments. Like all G-Shock watches, the GLX-S5600 is fully shock-resistant.
The GLX-S5600 is smaller than the GLX-5600.
Compared to the recent Baby-G BLX-565 from 2022 (which was not released in the U.S.), the GLX-S5600 is a little larger and heavier. Unlike the BLX-565, it has a moon graph to show the moon shape, although the BLX-565 does have moon age data without the graph. The GLX-S5600 is water-resistant to 200 meters, while the BLX-565 is water-resistant to 100 meters. The BLX-565 also has a less accurate quartz movement versus the usual +/- 15 seconds per month for G-Shock modules.
The debut GLX-S5600 models include the charcoal GLX-S5600-1, mint green GLX-S5600-3, orange GLX-S5600-4, and ivory GLX-S5600-7. In Japan, each model has a price of 14,850 yen including tax and will be released on April 7, 2023. It’s not yet known if the GLX-S5600 series will be released in all countries, but it is expected to be released in most. G-Shock U.K. has three GLX-S5600 models listed as coming soon for £99.90 each.
Update: G-Shock U.S. released the mint green GLXS5600-3, orange GLXS5600-4, and ivory GLXS5600-7 for $99 each.
Shop for G-Shock: New Releases at Amazon | Best G-Shock Watches | Buying Guides | Specs Catalog
The thickness of the DW-5600 in the graphic seems to be incorrect. It should be 13.4 mm. Also, the original GLX-5600 is smaller than the DW-5600, at least in height and thickness (46.7 x 43.2 x 12.7 mm).
Thanks, that seemed to be an early graphic that was wrong. I’ve replaced it with the proper GLX-5600 comparison image.